Saturday, October 4, 2008

What I Told the JWs

After being very patient and answering every question they asked, I calmly said:
Look, to put all my cards on the table, I used to live in Orlando and I used to ride my bike to church every Sunday and I used to pray for you guys every time I'd pass by your Kingdom Hall that you would repent of your heresies. I believe in one God, the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, and all things visible and invisible. I believe in Jesus Christ his only Son, our Lord, who is seated at the right hand of the Father. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord and giver of life, the Holy Christian Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body and the life everlasting, forever and ever. I believe that unless the Spirit unites you to the Son and that he presents you to the Father as his, then there is no hope for your salvation. I believe that the three persons of the Trinity are of one substance and that they are the unifying force of the entire cosmos. I believe that unless the Father sent the Son to become fully God and fully man, then there is no forgiveness of sins. This is the doctrine that sets the entire Christian Church apart from all pagan religions. You deny the Incarnation, right? (He nods yes) Then that puts you in the company of Arius, one of the first major heretics. I'm not selling my soul by putting my stock in that. It's not just "a different belief" (as they put it smoothly). The doctrines of the Trinity and the Incarnation are apostolic teaching, and their teaching is the bedrock of the Christian Church. Outside of it there is no salvation.

0 comments: