Friday, June 4, 2010

Evening

Been listening to a lot of Every Time I Die lately. Truly one of the most interesting bands in hardcore, IMHO - not to mention one of the last truly hardcore bands out there. If I had to sum them up I'd go with "lyrically-driven nihil-rock with southern tendencies." It wouldn't be insane for some Wheaton-esque type to put to writing a thematic analysis of the band's discography. How anyone could be disinterested in the pervasive biblical-religious allusions enmeshed in sarcasm, vulgarity, and unabashed paganism is beyond me.

...

P.S. I graduated a couple weeks ago. I've finally achieved two whole degrees outside my field of work, recently receiving a Master of Arts in Theological Studies. A two-year degree in four-years - can't complain.

Seriously, though, I went to a weird Reformed seminary, and I'm thankful for every bit of it. Never did I expect to be somewhere where classes occasionally begun with devotionals from Meredith Kline and Karl Barth, with as much N.T. Wright favorably blockquoted as Ridderbos and Calvin and Turretin and Witsius. Even James Jordan and Peter Leithart would get an occasional shoutout from time to time. Other pleasant surprises entailed a paedocommunionist professor or two, and a nearly unanimous support for weekly communion among the professors I studied under. Being in seminary also changes your perspective a little bit on the controversies that have plagued theological blogdom for the past 8 years or so, professors and even students having a much more tempered understanding of topics such as the Federal Vision and the NPP than the children that run amuck in the trite little worlds of internet polemics. There's not the same sort of tendencies toward faction among the grown-ups there.

...

Reading the Civitate kicked my butt. I'm still recovering from the two-week cram before graduation. It made me hate reading a little bit.

...

I've only got one week of teaching left for the year and then starts summer vacation - for most people. What with Cathleen having started her residency a few weeks ago, we're now paying for her to spend three months working for free. To compensate for the lack of summer income, I'm going to be working for a couple months at a day camp for some younger children. So we'll see just how relaxing my "break" is.

It's been a crazy year, career-wise. I've taken on a ton more responsibility and I've learned a lot. Also, I've been working for the district a bit the past month or so, helping put together the new curriculum for 7th grade next year.

...

Finally, I've been thinking frequently about the utter vulnerability of our planet, and all us inhabitants on said Earth. There are giant rocks and galaxies flying through our universe, any one of which could render us annihilated at any second. And with that I bid you, good night...

0 comments: